Wednesday 5 August 2015

The Importance of a Period App

Picture got from Biology Olympiads

I finished a very intense workout and now, I am in my room listening to some of Yiruma's compositions and typing this.

When you saw the title of this, you must've been like, "not again!" "another period post??" "really, Sammy?!" Well, after this one, I doubt I'll put any other one up in the near future.

I am writing this post because I feel that it is something that will benefit all females who have periods and, well, I have been trying out a period calendar/app for some time now and it has proven to be a pretty good thing to have.

Okay! So, why is a period app important?

Period apps are important for various, but the most important reason, in my opinion, is that they help you prepare yourself properly for your period. I am guessing that once or twice, each of the ladies reading this has started her period and realised that she doesn't have enough sanitary pads/tampons for the entire duration of her period. Some ladies don't even have pads/tampons on them and can't find any nearby when they start their periods. By having a good period app, you are reminded a week/days before your period that you are going to have a period soon and that makes you think about if you have enough of the things you will need for that period (no pun intended.....seriously....).
By the way, always ensure you have at least two pads/tampons in your bag. They will come in handy either for you, in case of an emergency or for someone else.



Another thing a period app prepares you for is events. A period app can help you not plan events that you will feel uncomfortable being on your period at on particular days. For example, if you want to have a pool party, spend an entire day at the beach or have an all-white party. A period app will help you know what days are the safest to have those and what days aren't. Also, if you have issues like PMS, extreme mood swings or you are prone to cramps during your periods an app helps you decide what you can risk agreeing to attend and what you can't risk attending at a particular time.

Period apps are also rather useful with family planning. They help you keep track of when you are probably ovulating in order to prevent you from getting pregnant if you and your partner are not planning on having a baby soon. Women who choose not to use birth control pills, IUDs, patches, rings, et cetera can use period apps and other devices that track periods as birth control. I know a few people who have used this for a while now so it has been proven to work.
However, the best way to go is to abstain from sex if you are not married. Condoms break some times, birth control pills, IUDs and the rest of them don't always work and I'm pretty sure there are a few people who the morning-after pill hasn't worked for. Also, you might mix up the date on your app if you are trying to recall it instead of looking at it so, the best way to prevent pregnancies if you are not married is to abstain from sex. Just putting this out there.

I was distracted while typing this so I don't remember all I was going to say. Therefore, I will end by just recommending a period calendar/app that I use (and no, this post was not sponsored). I use MonthlyInfo and so far, my period has always started the same week as the day it is predicted to start on. I have only used it for a few months, though. The more I log in dates into it, the more accurate it becomes with predicting my next period and that's pretty much how every period app/tracking site works. I also get emails from Monthly emails telling me to expect my period 5 days to the predicted date and 2 days to the predicted date. I will recommend MonthlyInfo, but if you'd like to, you could look up other apps/sites and find which one you think will work best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment