Monday 13 June 2016

Thinking Out Loud/Open Letter: #PrayForOrlando Controversy

Why are people getting upset because Christians are sharing the hashtag, 'PrayForOrlando?' It is ridiculous.

I read through the comments section of pastors, Christian public speakers and churches after they uploaded messages asking people to join in and pray for Orlando. Whilst going through them, I couldn't help, but notice that some people said things along the lines of, "why should we pray for sinners and their families?" "why should we be praying for gay people?" "they brought it on themselves," et cetera. Before I start the next paragraph, I will quote John 8:7, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Why should there be a debate concerning whether we should pray for those who unjustly lost their lives and the families who lost loved ones? Why have we created a holier-than-thou image of ourselves in our minds? Why do we think that we are so perfect, that only people like us need prayers and that because someone is different, they are any less of a human?

I am going to stop asking questions now.

1 Timothy 2:1 says, "I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them."

Mark 12:31 says, "Love others as well as you love yourself."

1 Corinthians 13:5-6 says, "[Love] ....Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others, Doesn’t revel when others grovel"

Luke 6:31-34 says, “Here is a simple rule of thumb for behaviour: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that’s charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that."

So, how do we think that it is right for us to believe that people aren't being true to their faith and beliefs because they choose to pray for those who lost their loved ones? 

(Sorry, I had to ask that question)

None of us have been Christians from the day of our birth! We could have been born into a Christian family, but just because my parents are friends with someone does not mean I have the same relationship they have with that person. Being born into a Christian family does not equate to having a relationship with Jesus. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. None of us are better than those who died or those who lost loved ones. There is no reason for us to feel that it makes anyone less of a follower of Christ because they choose to pray for others.

How can we use the Bible to condemn people of their sins when we are sinning in the process of judging and condemning them?

What do we lose by refusing to pray for others?

(These questions have to be asked)

Christ did not come for the righteous, but for the sinners!!

Oh my gosh! If we are supposed to strive to live like Christ or follow WWJD ("What Would Jesus Do?" why is it so hard for us to unconditionally love others and pray for them?

I'm done with this.

I am going to keep on praying for the families of those who lost their lives in the Orlando mass shooting. I am going to continue praying for the Grimmie family. I am going to continue praying for anyone who needs prayer! Black, white, Christian, Muslim, Bhuddist, Gay, Straight, I do not care. I will keep on praying for anyone who needs prayer!

When my best friend died, I wouldn't say I had much of a relationship with God. However, people kept praying for me, people kept showing me that they cared and that they loved me. Look where I am now! What if those people just ignored my circumstance because they had a "better" relationship with Christ than I did. What if people told me that I brought it on myself?! Honestly, if people did that, I would probably be dead right now.

We need to pray for Orlando.

I urge you to pray for Orlando.

If you still choose to live your life and ignore what those families are going through, go ahead, I can not force you to do anything you do not want to, but I can ask that you do not try to use Christianity or the Bible to justify a reason for us not to care about the lives of others.

#PrayForOrlando

No comments:

Post a Comment