Welcome to the first edition of Food Friday!!
Today I made some vegan crumpet-hot cakes not once, but TWICE! The second time, I gave some to my family (and y'all know they aren't vegan/vegetarian) and they actually liked it!
The reason this is called Crumpet-Hot Cakes/Crumpet-Pancakes is because on one side, they look like crumpets and on the other, they look like pancakes/hot cakes. Oh! They also feel fluffy like crumpets do! (by the way, I'm not a fan of actual crumpets, they taste....yeah....not a fan of many things).
Makes 6 Crumpet-Hot Cakes
- 5 heaped tablespoons of self-raising flour (or a flour of your choice with about a teaspoon or so of baking powder)
- 1 heaped tablespoon of oats
- Warm water
- Sugar, agave nectar, maple syrup.....a sweetener of your choice in the amount you wish
- 1 teaspoon of Mediterranean sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (excluding the oats)
- In a cup/bowl pour in the oats and pour enough warm water to just cover the oats over it
- Mix the oats with the water and push down on it a bit with a fork until the water thickens up a bit
- Pour some warm water over the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon to make a soft dough.
- Pour the oats and water mixture over it and stir with a spoon again
- Add a little more warm water and stir until a thick liquid consistency is developed (or a consistency of your choice).
- Switch to a fork and whisk the mixture for a few minutes until the mixture becomes smooth/almost smooth.
- Heat up a non-stick pan (or get some oil on a kitchen towel/napkin and rub that towel/napkin over your pan to prevent the batter from sticking to the pan).
- Pour three tablespoons per crumpet-hot cake onto the pan.
- The pops/holes formed when pancakes are ready to be flipped will form almost immediately. DO NOT TOUCH YOU CRUMPET-HOT CAKES! They are not ready to be flipped.
- When the top/side facing you, of the crumpet-hot cakes is completely dry and not sticky-to-touch, using a spatula, flip them over (shake the spatula as you are pushing under the crumpet-hot cakes to get them neatly off the pan).
- After a few minute, check under the crumpet-hot cakes. If parts of it have got a light brown tone/colour to it, you can take it off the heat now or you could brown it up a bit more, but that's your choice.
Hope you enjoy this!!